Seven Tips to Simplify Your Background Screening Process
Posted: June 14, 2022
SHRM recently published a list of “six tips that employers should keep in mind during the hiring and screening process.” We wanted to dig a little deeper into one of the suggestions, “Simplify the screening process” since it is our area of expertise. Human Resources professionals are constantly looking for ways to streamline their department’s workload and boost efficiency, so it is worthwhile to continuously evaluate and address any inefficiencies in your background check processes. Background screening is a piece of the hiring process that can cause frustrating delays, but it is possible to streamline through different tools and strategies.
Here are a few ways that you can simplify your background screening process.
- Integrate your background screening with your ATS. One of the best ways to simplify your background screening process is to integrate your Applicant Tracking platform with your background screening provider, which will reduce time, save money, increase visibility, and eliminate dual data entry. Once an integration is established, you will be able to place orders for background checks, check the status of each request and get links to completed background checks all from within your ATS.
- Ensure your background check process is user-friendly and intuitive. Nothing will complicate the background check process more than a confusing or inefficient system.There is no better way to make sure that your background screening process is user-friendly than to test it yourself. Evaluate your applicant experience by filling out forms, signing consent forms, etc. Many of our HR friends have gone through this process and learned that their system is cumbersome or frustrating. If you’re frustrated with the process yourself, can you imagine how a candidate feels as they go through it?
- Use an online Applicant Portal. To simplify your background screening process, consider implementing a web-based customer platform, such as Info Cubic’s Applicant Portal. These systems allow applicants to log directly into the system from their computer or mobile device to provide their information and electronically mouse sign a disclosure and authorization form (also commonly referred to as a consent form). The applicant portal reduces the need for duplicate data entry, eliminates the need for customers to enter applicants’ personally identifiable information (PII) and significantly reduces the need for “wet” signature consent forms.
- Order all the parts of your background checks at one time…and from one vendor. It is essential to find a background screening provider that offers a one-stop shop for all your background screening needs. Pre-employment drug screening and health screening can be fully integrated into your background screening to streamline the entire process, so you won’t have to manage multiple vendors.
- Eliminate the paper chain of custody forms from your background and drug screening programs. Paper forms will slow down your background screening process and create headaches all along the way. If you are using paper forms, consider putting them online with a mobile-friendly system. An online system will also collect signatures.
- Applicant Connect – Human Resources professionals don’t always have time to track down missing information that is needed to complete applicants’ background checks, nor do you want to deal with the headaches from it. Info Cubic offers a product called Applicant Connect product that allows our team to reach out to your applicants for missing information that is discovered after an order is submitted. We will also follow up with the candidate multiple times to make your life easier.
- Automate the Adverse Action Follow up – In the unfortunate event that you must reject an applicant based on their background check results, you’ll need to go through all the proper steps required for adverse action. Consider automating this activity through automated workflows. Or, better yet, higher an experienced company, such as Info Cubic, to handle the entire adverse action process for you.
For assistance with simplifying your background screening process, please contact Info Cubic at (877) 360-4636. We will take your background checks from meh to amazing!