Dealing with Drug Testing Delays
Posted: November 02, 2021
There is no doubt that 2021 will be remembered as the year of supply chain issues as numerous problems have emerged from the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, our industry is not immune to the issues as extreme backlogs in federal and workplace drug testing are being reported at every major laboratory in the US and abroad. What’s Causing the Drug Testing Delays? There are many factors that are creating a “perfect storm” for drug testing delays, including:
- A nationwide spike in drug screening demand caused by increased hiring as companies try to overcome the ongoing labor shortage.
- The labor shortage itself in drug testing collection sites and laboratories.
- Delays with transportation systems and logistics.
- Shortages in supplies needed to make drug testing kits, including a plastic shortage that has reduced the availability of testing cups.
- Issues with using the DOT’s newly mandated chain-of-custody form.
- Start the drug screening process as soon as possible.
- Reinforce to your candidates that they should go to the collection sites as quickly as they can.
- Unless you have a direct relationship with your collection site(s), do not contact them on your own since they aren’t able to talk to you. They will only talk to Third Party Administrators (TPAs) such as your background check vendor. Calling collection sites or laboratories will only exacerbate delays.
- It is crucial to have realistic expectations regarding current turnaround times.
- Be patient with your drug testing partner since these factors are out of their control.
- Make sure that you are using updated chain-of-custody forms.